I have a confession to make.
I am a gadget hoarder.
I love the latest and greatest in gadgets... although looking at my drawers of old phones and other gizmos, it appears that I am not able to let go of the old stuff just yet.
Because somewhere buried in those drawers - and shelves, if I may add - are:
- Old mobile phones that have not been switched on for at least six months.
- Ancient PCs and laptops that I have hung on to because I worry about their data falling into the wrong hands.
- Other electronic gadgets, together with numerous power cables - stashed away because maybe, just maybe I will need them some day.
- Electronic devices that are not working but I have kept them because well, I intend to repair them one fine day.
Problem is, that one fine day never comes.
Does any of the above scenarios relate to you?
Welcome to the club... and I have got good and bad news for you.
The bad news is both you and I need help.
The good news is there is an incentive for you and I to trade those old electronic items for e-recycling in exchange for CASH VOUCHERS!
Newstead Technologies Pte Ltd, a Singapore based electronics store offering the latest devices from all of the big international brands, is embarking on a campaign to lead and encourage e-waste recycling in Singapore. And hopefully in the process, more people will be made aware of the importance of data cleansing and security.
Titled 'Gift Your Tech', the campaign ties in with the festive season's spirit of giving too, as Newstead aims to raise funds for its beneficiary, TOUCH Community Service, at the same time.
So how does the campaign work?
- From now until 27 January 2017, simply bring down your old electronic items to Newstead's 12 participating stores to exchange them for vouchers.
- Electronic items accepted are PCs, notebooks, tablets and smartphones.
- For items that can be traded-in, i.e. in a resalable condition, the trade-in value will be evaluated at the store. A Newstead cash voucher of equivalent value to the agreed trade-in amount will be given to the customer.
- The voucher can be combined to purchase a new item and is valid for one year from the date of issue.
- For items that are not eligible for trade-in, Newstead will help to do a complete data cleansing and recycle the product. In return, you will receive a booklet of discount vouchers to be used in Newstead stores.
- The 12 participating Newstead stores include:
- Marina Square, #02-276 (Newstead Technologies)
- Marina Square, #02-261 (ASUS Concept Store)
- Marina Square, #02-254A (Dell Concept Store)
- Marina Square, #02-213 (HP Concept Store)
- Marina Square, #02-275 (Lenovo Concept Store)
- Suntec City Mall Tower 3 #01-618 (Digital Style)
- Suntec City Mall, #02-480 (Newstead Technologies)
- Jurong Point Shopping Centre #B1-92 (Digital Style)
- NEX Shopping Mall, #04-55 (Newstead Technologies)
- Causeway Point, #03-11 (Asus Concept Store)
- Causeway Point, #04-21 (Lenovo Concept Store)
- Sim Lim Square, #03-50 (Newstead Technologies)
In addition, Newstead has pledged to donate 20% of the trade-in value of each item to its TOUCH Community Services beneficiary!
So not only can I now get rid of my unwanted electronic items at home and exchange them for cash vouchers, TOUCH Community Services will also be benefiting from my e-waste disposal.
Yes, including disposing that old laptop that I got when Ash was still a (cute) toddler!
Looks like I need not be a gadget hoarder anymore!
Keen to find out more? Newstead will be conducting a roadshow on 28 December 2016 at Marina Square. Besides being able to bring old electronics items to the event for trade-in, visitors will be able to attend a discussion about data security and e-waste recycling as well as witness a live demonstration of proper data cleansing for electronic items.
For more details, visit giftyourtech.newstead.com.sg.