2. Having said that though, sometimes a little flexibility can’t hurt - it is okay to have ice cream instead of dinner!
3. A two-year-old’s voice is louder than 200 adults in a crowded restaurant.
4. When in doubt of how to handle a situation, smile or laugh as best demonstrated by my daughter most of the time. Taking a second to smile or laugh often highlights the futility of bringing negativity into the situation.
5. A good book is worth reading. 30 times.
6. Physical activity makes both the kids and me feel better. Not to mention that it makes them have an earlier night!
7. Having a water bottle by your side at all times is good. Knowing where the closest bathroom is at all times is better.
8. Never say, “I’ll never ____.” And don’t judge another parent.
9. To make pancakes, you need to get batter dripping all over the floor, maple syrup oozing onto table tops and make a royal mess of the kitchen.
10. Parenting means listening with more than just your ears.
11. You can never have too many McDonald’s serviettes in your car.
12. And if your kid’s favorite song is playing, FINISH it before getting out of the car.
13. When you hear the toilet flush and the words “uh-oh”, it’s already too late.
14. You won’t die if you eat something off the floor.
15. Be vigilant. You never know when a projectile will come flying at your crotch.
16. Superglue is forever.
17. A good 15 minute conversation at the end of the night is well worth the equivalent loss of sleep.
18. Forget the consequences, getting wet is always fun.
19. Silence usually means a massive mess.
20. I can survive without sleep, and a functioning brain.
Without a doubt, my children have changed me in many ways. My parenting life isn’t always going to be smooth-sailing, but it certainly is better for having my kids in it.
This article first appeared on www.maybebaby.sg/blog/, as part of my regular monthly contribution to the website.